RCTS principal C. D. Camp (1932-1937) helped initiate a new phase of RCTS’ development by introducing organized athletics, including football,basketball, tennis, track, and baseball. Principal Camp, who was a very enterprising administrator, went to Tuskegee Institute in Tuskegee, Alabama and Alabama A&M College in Normal, Alabama to get used athletic uniforms for the students.
Coach Hill (in suit on left) and Principal Warren Minnifield (in suit on right) pose with members of the 1948 RCTS Bulldogs on the school's atheletic field. The structures in the near background are temporary buildings obtained from the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) for use as classrooms while the new 1949 school building was being built. The taller building in the far background is the building known as "the shop."