Handley's Chapel School was organized in the year 1913 or 1914. It was located 5-1/2 miles east of Needhams Store on Farm Road No. 33. It was organized in a one room house, using a fireplace for its heating system. Miss NETTIE HICKS was the first teacher.
As the community increased with more children, the school was moved into a two room house, with two teachers still using an open fireplace for its heating system.
In 1919 Mr. G.H. Handley gave a sum of money and 5 acres of land to build the school building, a five room Rosenwald School building. In 1920, the new building being complete, began having classes, with three teachers: M.N. ROYAL, OSCAR HOLLIDAY and Miss JESSIE M. WILKERSON. At that time Stephen Mission and Shining Light came in as feeder schools to Handley's Chapel.
In 1956 Handley's Chapel School had five rooms, was in fair condition, with only one teacher.
The above information was taken (edited) from a typewritten page in a book located at the Awlbrey Library in Roanoke, AL.