Home
RCTS Celebrates 100 Years
Main Page
2017 Reunion Planning
RCTS and NMAAHC
RCTS Historic Marker
RCTS In the Beginning
2015 Reunion Planning
2013 Reunion News
History of RCTS
The Years 1917 - 1939
The Years 1940 - 1949
The Years 1950-1959
The Years 1960-1970
Farewell Old Randolph
RCTS as Terry Mfg.
RCTS Reunions
Newspaper Articles
Feeder Schools
Mount Carmel School
Kirk
Rock Mills Junior High
Wehadkee School
Handley's Chapel
Stephen Mission School
St. Paul Baptist Church
About us
Scholarships Forms
Financial Aid
News
Contribute to RCTSSF
Patrons
DVDs and Publications
Contact Us
   
 


This small two-teacher school was established before 1919 and was one of the first Rosenwald schools built in Randolph County. It was the site of a "Colored Teachers' Institute" held on March 14-15, 1919. The local newspaper, The Roanoke Leader, reported the event in its March 26, 1919 edition as follows:

"FINE INSTITUTE HELD FOR COLORED TEACHERS

Editor Leader: Kindly give space in your valuable paper for this communication.

The Randolph County Colored Teachers’ Institute, held at the Kirk School 14th and 15th inst., was well attended and much interest manifested. The following schools were represented by industrial work: Handley’s Chapel, Kirk’s, Wedowee, Rocky Mount, Rock Mills, Rosenwald Schools, Pleasant Grove, Lime, Roanoke, Wehadkee, Union Hill, Mt. Carmel, Zion Rest, Graham, Burk’s Chapel, Shinning Light, smaller schools. Mr. Rosenwald’s picture, which was offered by the supervisor for the best industrial work and the best equipped Rosenwald school was awarded to Kirk’s. for the best work done in the smaller schools the first prize was awarded to Pleasant Grove, Wadley; the second prize to the Lime school.

The local Farmer’s Conference there held and interesting session and had on exhibition some fine farm products, hams, canned fruit, etc. J.B. McPherson, county agent, was present, and expressed in a forceful speech the urgent need for the reduction of cotton acreage.

Much credit is due the supervisor for the quantity and quality of the industrial exhibits. Rev. A. J. Green and Rev. K.G. Turner were present also and spoke words of encouragement to both farmers and teachers.

All of our schools have been benefitted by the lengthening of the school term, which shows the determination of our white friends to do full justice to us in ways educational. Our thanks are due, and hereby tendered, to the Hon. J.N. Word, our progressive superintendent, as the leading spirit of the movement in this county. -------Reporter."

Note: Kirk School was built at a cost of $975 with money contributed by: Negroes $375, Public $300, and Rosenwald Fund $300.