Randolph County Training School -- An American Institution 1919 - 1970 Two structures served as the main school building during the 51 year existence of the RCTS -- the first, a wooden 2-story building, the second, a concrete block single-story building. A wooden building known as "the shop", was used for agricultural and mechanical instruction and shop areas. Other buildings were added over the years to provide space for sports activities (the gymnasium), band practice, and elementary education.
The Original RCTS Building with the Student Body in front(more)
The Randolph County Training School (RCTS) was authorized by the Alabama State Legislature in 1917. Construction began in 1919 and the school opened in the fall of 1920. Funding for the school's construction was provided by Blacks, Whites, the County, and the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. One of the earliest Rosenwald schools, the two-story school was constructed according to architectural plans drawn up by architect Robert Robinson Taylor and other Black builders on staff at historic Tuskegee Institute (now University). The school became the first school in Randolph County to offer schooling beyond elementary level for Blacks. It remained the only high school for Blacks until another high school for Blacks (Wedowee High School) was built in Wedowee, the county seat, in the late 1950s.