Home
RCTS Celebrates 100 Years
Main Page
2017 Reunion Planning
RCTS and NMAAHC
RCTS Historic Marker
RCTS In the Beginning
2015 Reunion Planning
2013 Reunion News
History of RCTS
The Years 1917 - 1939
The Years 1940 - 1949
The Years 1950-1959
The Years 1960-1970
Farewell Old Randolph
RCTS as Terry Mfg.
RCTS Reunions
Newspaper Articles
Feeder Schools
About us
Scholarships Forms
Financial Aid
News
Contribute to RCTSSF
Patrons
DVDs and Publications
Contact Us
   
 


The historic marker was dedicated at 1:30PM Central Standard Time on Tuesday, October 1, 2013. All Bulldog students, teachers, administrators, and community supporters were invited to attend the historic event.  Many Bulldogs wore their RCTS maroon and gold outfits (t-shirts, caps, etc.)  School officials from the city of Roanoke and Randolph County attended the emotional ceremony.

Councilwoman Tammy Holley and Roanoke City Councilman MacArthur Bell, who both attended RCTS, spoke at the event and helped Roy Terry (class of '62) unveil the historic marker. 

RCTS Scholarship Foundation Chairman, Dr. Alvin Thornton, was scheduled to make remarks, but was unable to attend.  Gene Thornton, RCTS Secretary, spoke instead.


Click here for the Randolph Leader's account of the marker's dedication.

RCTS Graduate and Teacher Countess Shealey Chapman Visits the Marker


Mrs. Chapman (Class of '38) taught Physical Education and Social Studies at RCTS for many years. Her parents were among the leaders in the efforts to create RCTS. Her father, John T. Shealey, a prominent contractor and carpenter, along with Jessie Smedley, another carpenter, helped to build the 1919 RCTS school building. Her sister, Juanita Shealey Moore, also taught at RCTS. Her mother, Mrs. Mayme Shealey, was principal of Rock Mills Elementary School, which was also a Rosenwald school.