Hundreds of RCTS students, staff, and friends gathered in LaGrange, GA in July to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of the school. Chartered in 1917 by the State of Alabama, the school became the first school to offer high school education to African Americans in Randolph County Alabama. See more info.
RCTS' Mascot -- The Mighty Bulldog!
The School Colors are Maroon and Gold. The School Song -- Over in Randolph! The words of the school's anthem still bring out the spirit of the "Mighty Bulldogs" of Randolph County Training School. The song was composed by a student, Mittie Bell Almond Williams (Class of '39).
1934 -- Fourth and Fifth Grade Classes in front of the original 1919 Randolph County Training School building. Female students were required to wear blue dresses with white collars and boys wore brown pants and white shirts.
James Perry Russell, who was called "Professor," was RCTS’ first principal and Lennie Dora Pinkard was the first graduate of RCTS. Dennis Ware ('70) was the last to graduate.
Photos of teachers, classes, sports teams, bands, clubs, and choirs were taken each year by professional photographers. Group photos of graduating senior classes were hung on the walls of the school to serve as inspiration for students in the lower grades. After RCTS was closed, many of the photos were lovingly rescued by former students.
** The 1947 to 1967 graduates’ names were taken from a list compiled by Evelyn Smedley-Smith, RCTS Social Studies and English teacher. RCTS students and teachers provided the names of the other graduates. Class lists for some years may be incomplete.